So, I'm totally coppying another PC friend and doing this. I can't wait to get some pictures up, hopefully soon. I have a ton, and I think they're the best way I have right now of giving you guys an idea of what it's like to be here. I had my first feelings of homesickness this weekend, and I thought about all of you in America a lot. But I'm really enjoying myself here too, so it's all good.
This last week I went with three other trainees to visit a current PCV, Anna, in Varbitsa. We had a lot of fun just hanging out and doing a lot of nothing. It rained one day, so we had a party inside and listened to American music, ate food that we choose and made for ourselves, played chess, read American magazines (Newsweek), and talked a lot. It felt a lot like college, and it was nice to have a break from Bulgarian suff.
It was the town's holiday, so we did go see a concert and some fireworks and we saw the fair being set up, but we didn't actually go to it. We met three Bulgarian teenage girls who were friends with Anna and spent some time with them. We gave an English language lesson to one of them, and later we went na gosti at one of their houses. We made baked ziti, garlic bread, and brownies and brought some ice cream. Each of them made different kinds of bread too, so we had a ton of bread. But it was all good and we laughed a lot and had a good time. The girls interviewed each of us with a 40 question questinaire that Anna translated for us and we wrote the answers down. Anna's going to translate our answers - she's great.
After about 11 hours of traveling (we left Varbitsa at 7:30 am and got back to Kraynitsi at about 6:00) my host family was waiting for me to have a na gosti. I love na gosti, and it was great to have such a warm reception. It's also exciting because each time we do it I'm able to understand more and contribute more to the conversation. Then the trainees in Kraynitsi and I went out to the cafe and hung out for a while. It was a really busy place because it's about the only place to hang out in a small town like Kraynitsi, and we saw and talked to some people we know.
Anyway, I could go on forever, but perhaps that's enough for one blog.
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
your name isn't Rebekah :) "surahhh rehbehkah rooshing!"
yay for stories and pics!
PS Ann visited me the other night...we went to Star Search then she gave me a HUGE bag of candy....and I like my job at CAS :)
yea for a blog! that's cool stuff. be sure to update for us...
yeah, so sorry about the confusion with Rebekah. It's my middle name and I sometimes use it on the internet. I changed it, though, so now everyone should know who I am.
I also changed the setting so that anyone can post comments, not just people with this blog. Thanks for letting me know about that Heather! If anyone has any problems or suggestions, let me know. I'm still just getting everything set up.
Hey, Sarah! What's new? I'm getting ready for an audit at work, so things are busy! I want to read some more Bulgarian adventures. :)
Love you.
Post a Comment